Books & Bites Podcast, Episode 30
Each month, JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them. We’re gearing up for back-to-school in this episode, with books set in school or books we should have read in school.
- Dear America : Notes of an Undocumented Citizen by Jose Antonio Vargas
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
- The Fire This Time edited by Jesmyn Ward
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
- Citrus County by John Brandon
- Old in Art School by Nell Painter
- Try out Panlasang Pinoy’s Filipino Chicken Adobo to taste the food Jose Antonio Vargas grew up with in the Philippines.
- Learn more about French wine in Windows on the World Complete Wine Course by Kevin Zraly and then go find one to try as you savor the words of James Baldwin and the authors that responded to him in The Fire This Time.
- Since kale is a staple in Scottish kitchens, try the Warm Salad of Roasted Kale, Coconut, and Tomatoes from Anna Jones’s cookbook, A Modern Way to Eat.
- West Sixth Brewery’s Valencia Berliner Weisse is a beverage with bite to match Citrus County‘s hard-boiled feel.
- Enjoy a chilled Cidergeist Semi-Dry Cider as you try to piece the mystery of the old abbey with Charley and Sam.
- If you want to transport yourself back to the late 80’s, try the Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Sloppy Joes and pair it with an ice-cold Diet Coke with a slice of lemon.