Books and Bites Podcast, Episode 14
Each month, JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them. In honor of Women’s History Month, this episode features strong female characters, including a 14 year-old seeking revenge for her father’s death, a librarian spy, and more.
- The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, or, On the Segregation of the Queen by Laurie R. King
- True Grit by Charles Portis
- Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney
- The Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemison
- Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
- For a scone recipe worthy of Mrs. Hudson, try The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking. Carrie recommends the Coconut Oil Blueberry Scones from the Minimalist Baker. They’re a vegan, savory twist on the traditional scone.
- Corn dodgers may not have been Mattie Ross’s cup of tea, but they might be just the thing to wash down with a shot of whiskey, à la Rooster Cogburn.
- Lillian Boxfish loved a good Negroni. But Melissa prefers the Boulevardier, which uses bourbon or rye whiskey in place of gin.
- Pair Akata Witch with jollof rice, the essential dish of West Africa.