The Jessamine County Public Library provides computers with Internet access and Microsoft Office programs for word processing, spreadsheets and other projects such as presentations and publications.
A staff member is available to assist customers with their basic computing needs and the library’s equipment in the public computer area. Read our Acceptable Use for Computers and Internet Access.
Who May Use the Public Computers
The public computers are available to all adult library card holders. Juvenile card holders are also allowed to use the library’s public computers, unless their parents or guardians have opted them out of this privilege. You are eligible for a one-time use guest pass if you are:
- A non-card holder that is 18 years of age or older with valid photo ID
- A library card holder who is not in good standing with the library but has paid 10% of your outstanding balance during your visit.
Logging in to a Public Computer
To use a public computer, simply log into the computer with your library card number and PIN. Once you agree to the Acceptable Use for Computers and Internet Access that displays, your session will begin.
Hours and Time Limits
The public computers are available during all hours that the library is open except for the last 20 minutes prior to closing. Customers are granted at least an hour of usage per computer session. If no other customer is waiting to use a public computer, you will have the option to extend your session’s time.
If you have a special circumstance that requires a longer use of a computer, such as an online timed test, please speak with the staff member on duty in advance of starting a computer session.
Reserving a Computer
You do not need a reservation to use a public computer—you can simply go to a computer not in use and log in. If you wish to reserve a computer ahead of time, you may do so in one of three ways:
- Use the self-reservation station located at the Computer Help Desk. Staff will be happy to assist you with placing a reservation.
- Call the library at 859-885-3523, and ask to speak with the Computer Help Desk staff member. Please have your library card and PIN ready.
- Reserve a computer online at www.reserveacomputer.org. You will need to enter your library card number, PIN, date and time you want your reservation to be, then accept or decline the reservation the system offers you.
You may make reservations for one hour at a time. You may extend your session at the end of that hour if no one else has reserved the computer you are using.
Printing from the public computers or any customer owned device is $0.10 per page for black and white and $0.35 per page for color.
The library offers some assistive technology to those using the public computers, including large track ball mice, large print keyboards, screen text enlargement software, and an adjustable desk that may be reserved in advance. If you have questions, please call 859-885-3523 or email us.