Rules for Cosplaying at Jessamine County Public Library Comic Surge
JCPL Comic Surge encourages anyone who wishes to attend in costume to do so. However, all attendees, whether in costume or not, need to follow some rules to help ensure that everyone has a good time. JCPL cannot be responsible for damage incurred to your costume, accessories or props during the Comic Surge event.
Harassment of any kind is unacceptable on JCPL grounds. Harassment includes but is not limited to:
- Offensive verbal comments
- Physical assault and/or battery
- Bathroom policing
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome physical attention
If someone’s behavior makes you uncomfortable, contact a JCPL staff member immediately.
Comic Surge attendees in costume must abide by the following:
- This is a family-friendly event. Adult-themed, excessively gruesome or scary cosplays are not permitted.
- Costumes should provide no less than one-piece swimsuit coverage for females or a tank top with shorts for males. This level of coverage must be maintained at all times, whether the attendee is standing, moving or posing.
- Clothing must not be see-through; flesh-colored garments need to be easily identifiable from up to 10 feet away.
- All costumes are required to be sturdily constructed and properly secured to your body at all times so that they are not prone to “wardrobe malfunctions.”
- Protective footwear is to be worn at all times even if a character is typically barefoot.
- Costumes should not drag on the ground or cause obstructions/safety issues for other attendees.
- Any make-up must be properly sealed so that it does not rub off with casual contact or make a mess.
- Masks are permitted, but they must not impair the ability of the wearer to see.
- Uniforms are allowed as long as it is obvious that it is a costume.
- Anything with wheels, except for wheelchairs, are not allowed inside the building. This includes skateboards, scooters, bicycles, etc.
- All prop weapons must be clearly distinguished from real weapons.
- All prop weapons must be secured and handled in a manner that reduces risk of injury to self and others.
- Weapons shall not be brandished at any time.
Cosplay Photography and Autographs
Comic Surge is a public event and photography is allowed. However, please follow the rules below:
- If you want someone’s photo, be polite and ask first.
- Photos should not be taken in high traffic areas.
- No money may be exchanged in return for pictures taken or autographs given at Comic Surge.
Library staff is authorized to take appropriate action toward anyone failing to comply with these rules and with the JCPL Customer Code of Conduct and its regulations, including, but not limited to, ordering the customer to leave the building immediately.
Cosplay Contest 2019
Aya Candy Cospla (Aya Lynn) is a Kentucky based cosplayer known for her extensive use of Eva foam and worbla to build cosplay sets and props ranging from various video games, and anime, . Known for her massive (and somewhat crazy) prop builds, Aya tries to continuously improve her craft in use of foam and other meduims. She also uses cosplay as a means to advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and bring about positivity to the community through her cosplay.
Chryssi Rose is a cosplayer from central Kentucky. She has been building costumes since 2016 and has won multiple awards for her costumes. Cosplay has taken her as far away as California, where she had competed in Blizzcon’s 2017 cosplay contest, and locally as a cosplay guest. She also dabbles in cosplay photography as a side hobby.
ShadowBrite Cosplay (Jenn Hall) is an eclectic Kentucky cosplayer who specializes in unique spins on popular characters, incorporating steampunk, Gothic, post-apocalyptic, and cyberpunk/rave accents. Cosplay gives her a multitude of creative outlets and allows her to experiment with all different mediums. She uses her cosplay as a platform for raising awareness for mental health in cospositivity.
Children, teens, and adults can come as their favorite fantasy, science fiction, anime, or comic book characters and win gift cards to shop our Comic Surge vendors and artists’ tables. A panel of judges will score your costume and decide the first, second, and third place winners in each age category. At 2:30 pm, all participants will have the chance to show off their costumes on the runway so the audience can choose their favorites.
- 10:00 am to 1:00 pm – Participants must visit the judges room for scoring.
- 2:00 pm – Parade of characters.
- 2:30 pm – Costume contestants on stage for public judging.
- 3:00 pm – Awards.
- Prizes will be awarded in Children’s (0-11), Teen (12-17), and Adult (18 & older) age categories.
- 1st place: $100 Comic Surge gift card
- 2nd place: $75 Comic Surge gift card
- 3rd place: $50 Comic Surge gift card
- Audience Favorite: $100 Comic Surge gift card
- Costumes will be judged based on accuracy, craftsmanship, complexity/difficulty, and portrayal of the character.
- JCPL employees and their families are ineligible to win prizes.
Questions? If you have any questions about Comic Surge, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.