In honor of the upcoming holidays, this month’s Civic Lab focuses on food insecurity in our community. Get informed, join the discussion, and participate in activities. For each activity you submit, you’ll be entered to win a $75 gift certificate to Amazon.com. Find out more on our Civic Lab webpage.
This Thanksgiving, the Jessamine County Public Library is grateful to all the organizations who provide food assistance to our community.
These organizations provide a vital service. According to Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap project, in 2016 there were 7,190 food insecure people in Jessamine County, leaving us with a food insecurity rate of 14.1%.
What is food insecurity? The U.S. Department of Agriculture defines it as a “lack of access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members.”
See below for a list of organizations who are fighting hunger in our community.
Food Assistance in Jessamine County
Jessamine County Food Pantry
Nicholasville Christian Church, 104 S. Second St., Nicholasville, KY
- Hours: Tuesday, 12:00 PM-3:00 PM; Thursday, 4:00 PM-7:00 PM; Friday, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
- Bring a photo ID and proof of residence.
Edgewood Baptist Church
717 S. Main St., Nicholasville
- Provides emergency food assistance to families once every three months.
Hours: Food pantry is open Monday-Thursday from 9:00 AM-3:00 PM.
- Bring a photo ID.
Nicholasville United Methodist Church
303 W. Maple St., Nicholasville, KY
- Offers free Manna Meals every Saturday from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM.
- Toiletries and gently used clothing are distributed every fourth Saturday at the meal.
Community Service Center of Wilmore and High Bridge
Food Pantry Program
Wilmore Presbyterian Church, 100 N. Lexington Ave., Wilmore, KY
- Hours: Food pantry is open the last Saturday of each month for eligible individuals and families.
Jessamine County Homeless Coalition
218 E. Maple St., Nicholasville, KY
- Provides emergency food and other services.
Department for Community Based Services, Family Services, Jessamine County
111 Edgewood Plaza, Nicholasville, KY
- Apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Get more information about SNAP at https://tinyurl.com/ya2am6ho