Job Search 1:1
Get help with your job search! Make a free, 45 minute appointment with a reference librarian. Visit our events calendar for dates and times.
The Job & Career Accelerator will help you explore careers, search for jobs, create resumes and cover letters, and more. The Career Center will help you prepare for a career exam, explore occupations, and improve your workplace skills. To get started, register.
lynda.com is an online learning resource that helps anyone learn software, creative, and business skills to achieve personal and professional goals. Learn how to write a resume, ace your job interview, negotiate a better salary, and much more. Login with your library card number and PIN.
Get live one-to-one help on your resume or cover letter, or practice your interviewing skills with a career tutor. Available every day from 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Log in with your library card number, or call the Information Desk at (859) 885-3523 ext. 228 for the site key.
Major Job Search Websites
- CareerBuilder.com One of the biggest job search sites out there. This is the site that Kentucky.com (the online version of the Lexington Herald-Leader) links to.
- Indeed “…a search engine for jobs, allowing job seekers to find jobs posted on thousands of company career sites and job boards.”
- JobCentral Search job postings from member companies. Can post a resume, save search, etc.
- Jobster A social networking site for employers and job seekers, this site allows you to create an online portfolio and connect with other professionals. It also searches across different job boards.
- Retirement Jobs “Search full time, part time and flexible jobs from age friendly employers.”
- Simply Hired “SimplyHired.com is a vertical job search engine that pulls listings from thousands of sites across the Web including the leading job boards, company career sites, newspapers, non-profits, government sites, and more.”
- Snagajob Focuses on hourly employment. Registration is required to apply for jobs.
Local Job Search Websites
- BlueGrassWorks Search jobs in the Lexington area–or throughout the state.
- Careers.ky.gov Search for state government jobs.
- Central Kentucky Career Center The Central Kentucky Career Center provides more than just unemployment filing. You can find help with writing resumes and cover letters, take computer classes, search for jobs, and more. Offices are located in Danville, Richmond, and Lexington.
- Jessamine County Kentucky » Personnel
- Jessamine County Schools
- Job-Hunt.Org This site provides a list of job search links, job search tutorials, and many helpful articles about the job search process.
- Teleworks USA Based in Eastern Kentucky, “Teleworks USA’s jobseeker services bring cutting-edge telework (work-from-home) employment opportunities to workers, especially those in rural areas and small towns, allowing them to participate in the global economy without relocating.”
- UK Human Resources Search for jobs at the University of Kentucky.
- Welcome to Kentucky’s Focus/Career State job bank. You don’t need to sign in to search for jobs, but you will need to create an account to see how to apply for the jobs. Includes a free resume builder.
Specialized Job Search Websites
- ConstructionJobs.com A job board specifically “for the construction, design, and building industries.”
- Government Jobs Search federal, state, and government jobs. The job resources page provides lists of links for state and local government websites.
- Industry Specific Job Search Sites A collection of links to industry-specific job search sites, including computers/information technology, education, health, and others.
- coopintern Information on applying to the Kentucky State Government Co/op Intern Program.
Resumes and Cover Letters
- Careers and Career Information – CareerOneStop Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, this site provides information on resumes, cover letters, careers and salaries. It also links to state job banks and unemployment sites.
- Free Job Search Tutorials at GCFLearnFree A collection of tutorials from GCFLearnFree.org on writing cover letters and resumes, filling out job applications, interviewing skills, and searching for jobs.
- Job Seekers Guide This is a free, interactive web sites which takes you through five steps: Assess Yourself, Explore Careers, Create a Plan and Set Goals, Expand Skills, and Find A Job. The Find A Job section guides you through the cover letter and resume process.
- JobStar: Job Search Guide Although this site is from a California public library, it has lots of relevant information for any job seeker. Learn about resumes and cover letters, how to find salary information, and how to research companies you’re interested in working for.
- Kentucky’s Focus/Career State job bank. You don’t need to sign in to search for jobs, but you will need to create an account to see how to apply for the jobs. Includes a free resume builder.
- The Purdue OWL: Job Search Writing The Purdue Online Writing Lab offers free resources on research, grammar and mechanics, writing style guides, English as a second language, and job search and professional writing.
- Susan Ireland’s Resume Site This site features numerous resume and cover letter samples as well as advice about writing them.