Children’s Services Outreach Librarian
Type of Position: Full-time / Salary: $13.50 p/hr.
Under the general supervision of the Children’s Services Librarian and the direct supervision of the Assistant Children’s Services Librarian, the Children’s Services Outreach Librarian is responsible for assisting in meeting the outreach programming and educational goals of the Children’s Services Department, as well as promoting library services and collections in the community. The work requires the Children’s Services Outreach Librarian to build relationships and partnerships with external agencies and community groups, as well as interact extensively with the public and other staff members.
Duties and Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Planning and delivering off-site children’s programs, educational initiatives and other library services that are developmentally appropriate and in line with the goals of the department
- Building relationships and providing services to a variety of child-focused community organizations
- Providing library materials to schools, childcare centers and other community facilities
- Working together with the other programmers in Children’s Services to provide a continuity of service within the library and in the community
- Promoting the public library and its services through interaction with the community
- Undertaking training as necessary to meet State Certification requirements
Assisting with covering the desk in the Children’s Library as needed
- Acting as a representative of the library in the community by attending various community events, school events, etc.
- Assisting with the annual Summer Reading Program
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Children’s Services Librarian and/or Assistant Children’s Services Librarian
- Master’s degree in library science (completed or in progress) from an ALA-accredited library school program
- Experience in working with children
- A genuine caring and respect for children.
- Ability to work a fairly flexible schedule – some evenings and weekends will be required
- Demonstrated ability to form strong and professional working relationships
- Demonstrated confidence in meeting and speaking to the public
- Demonstrated ability to work under minimal supervision
- Knowledge of children’s literature
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and flourish in a changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including the ability to decipher and relay detailed information
- Skill in providing excellent customer service both in the library and at off-site locations
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor
- Ability to creatively solve problems as well as negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner
- Ability to be innovative, flexible and well organized
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to master the library’s online catalog
- Desire to contribute to the Library’s public service mission with an attitude of helpfulness and friendliness
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, kneeling, and similar movements when the occasion requires
- Moving 50-100-lb. book trucks and handling moderately heavy boxes of books when the occasion requires
- Ability to work in a stationary position for long periods of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to read shelves for filing and/or identifying materials for extended lengths of time (2-4 hours)
- Ability to view computer screens for extended lengths of time (4-8 hours)
- Ability to communicate and exchange information with coworkers and customers Work Environment:
- Climate controlled environment
- Barrier free work area
- Public work area
- Full time employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is 38.5 hours per week.
- All employment at the Jessamine County Public Library is considered “employment at will.”
- Hours of work are dependent upon the public service hours of the department. Employees are required to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Employees must adhere to library policies and procedures as described in the Employee Handbook. • All employees are expected to comply with the JCPL Confidentiality Policy.
- New employees must pass 30-,60-, and 90-day evaluations. All employees must pass annual performance appraisals.
- All employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit for payroll
- Vacation leave Years 1-4: 10 days per year. See manual for increases and limits.
- Sick leave 7.7 hours accrue per month; maximum accumulation is 1000 hours.
- Holiday leave 11 holidays plus the employee’s birthday
- Retirement 6% mandatory payroll deduction; library “match” based on state law
- Health insurance Kentucky Employee Health Plan (may opt out)
- Optional flexible spending, dental, vision, term life, deferred compensation
Application Procedure: Application Deadline – Friday, April 20, 2018
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, completed JCPL application (which can be found on our website, www.jesspublib.org/_uploads/JCPL-Application.pdf), and a resume. All documents can be submitted via email or mailed to the contact information below:
Jessamine County Public Library
Juliana Gaddis, Children’s Librarian
600 S. Main Street
Nicholasville KY 40356