Books & Bites Podcast, Episode 27
Each month, JCPL librarians bring you book recommendations and discuss the bites and beverages to pair with them. On this episode, we discuss books that take you to another place.
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- The Map of Salt and Stars by Zeyn Joukhadar
- Enjoy Our Homesick Songs with whatever baked good brings you the most comfort. Carrie plans to try Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Canadian Jae Steele’s book Ripe from Around Here.
- In News of the World, roast chicken is a special (and stolen) treat on the Texas frontier, but you can have it anytime with the help of a cast iron skillet. Find the recipe Simplest Whole Roast Chicken in Mark Bittman’s book, How to Cook Everything.
- If, like Sofia in Hot Milk, you want to feel bolder, catch, clean, and grill your own dorado—also known as mahi-mahi or dolphinfish. The recipe Grilled Fish with Garlic Vinaigrette from the book Spain: A Culinary Road Trip, sounds like just the thing.
- Take a recipe straight from With the Fire on High and fix up a batch of Emoni’s “When the World Tries to Break You, Break Beer Bread with Those You Love.”
- Pick up a bottle or two of Fuller’s London Pride to drink while Kell travels from one parallel universe London to another and back.
- Find sfiha like Nour’s mother makes at the beginning of The Map of Salt and Stars at local bakery The Mill or try your hand at the recipe in Julie Taboulie’s Lebanese Kitchen by Julie Ann Sageer.